Sunday, December 6, 2009

Could you learn ballet at home by urself?

i did ballet when i was 5 but my mom made me quit and now im 15 and too busy in high school for lessons or anything, plus my mom wouldnt be paying for anything or taking my anywhere. but i still really love ballet and wish i could really do it again. wat can i do at home to try to learn it. im pretty flexible and im working on the splits. wat websites or books do u recommend and wat kind of stretches should i do? i kno its been really long since i stopped ballet but i really want to be able to do ballet. please help!



Could you learn ballet at home by urself?amc theater



Good choice, deciding to come back to dance after all those years! I'm going to try and be as nice as I can and please, my dear, do NOT take this the wrong way, but no. You cannot learn ballet exclusively from a book, movie, or website.



The art of dance is a labor of love and you can learn your technique from any of those mediums, but going to class will solidify you in dance.



My forte is ballet. I was trained in the Vaganova style. I am a professional. I was ranked fourth in the nation when I was nine and accepted into the Burklyn ballet, although I turned them down, at age 10.



The thing is this: ballet class teaches you more than just the steps. It teaches you the ettiquette of dance. It gives you a space, filled with people just as dedicated as you are, and a teacher. Without the mirrors and the teacher, you will not be able to adequately judge your technique. And you do NOT want to solidify bad technique in your muscles becasue that's really really hard to break. Besides, the act of going to class puts you in the mindset to dance.



Simply, you can learn to dance any way you want. But if you want to dance well, go to class! Have a heart-to-heart with your mom. Cajole her with promises of a clean room or that you'll do the dishes every night. If you want this, let her know. She'll come around. Or, find a place that's close to home. Bike there. Or, you're almost sixteen, soon, you'll be able to drive yourself. Either way, show your mom that you're committed and she'll support you. Offer to spend your allowance on the tuition, if you get an allowance.



When I was fifteen, I was a senior in high school, taking five AP Classes (AP English, AP Phsyics, AP Studio Art, AP French, and AP European History), and I was recovering from surgery for a very bad dance injury (which consequently reoccured so I'm dealing with it now). My studio was downtown, half and hour away from our rural home, and I biked five miles after school every day to get to a bus stop and ride into town. And although I could not dance, I went to class and rehearsel every day from 3:30 P.M. to 10:30 P.M. Monday through Friday, just to watch and learn from other's mistakes or watch and learnt he dances being taught so that I was prepared to reenter class when I was physically fit. It was very hard with my school work and the physical therapy that I went to three times a week but it was manageable, and I didn't have time to eat so I stayed really skinny :) I also didn't get to bed before two or three in the morning and consqeuntly slept through my first period (Psychology for 1st semester and Probability and Statistics for 2nd semester) almost all year and had yucky black circles under my eyes, but it was worth it. It was freaking ridiculously hard and I would sometimes just come home and cry because I was so darn tired and I had so much left to do, but it was worth it. I love to dance. I doubt you will be in my boat because I was in a company at your age and your just getting back into the love of dance.



It will mean dedicating two hours or so a week to dance and I think that that forced break in your week would be a relief to you. Tell you mother that the exercise will keep you fit and focused so that you'll do better in school. Taking time out of your week to dedicate just to yourself and something you love will give you something to look forward to.



Good job on working your flexibilty, that's always the first step. But be careful about technique, you don't want to pull a hamstring (trust me, you don't - I've done it).



Good luck, girl! I hope you can get to class or to a book store, wherever it is that will get you movin' and groovin' with the best of them! Have fun dancing either way!



Could you learn ballet at home by urself?concerts opera theater



you can practice, but you probably wont be able to get much better. you really need a teacher to correct you
try watching ballet lessons on youtube :)



try this link



http://youtube.com/watch?v=TMX5mk-hXZc
http://www.discoverahobby.com/learnballe...
you cant really learn because if your doing it wrong you have noone there to tell you and teach you the right way.
If you are aiming to excel in ballet, and if you wish to take it seriously, then your only choice would be to attend classes. Teachers see corrections that others cannot see. If you simply want a little recreational taste for the joy of it, then I'm sure local dance stores may sell books or movies. Best of luck to you!
Of course you can practice, watch videos and stretch, and no one can force you not to, but if you want to be a real ballerina, you have to take classes.



But as I said, no one can keep you from having fun and enjoy ballet at home !



Good luck :D
you really shouldn't be teaching yourself ballet because its really easy to do something wrong and lock it into your muscle memory, and make it a habit. not only would that be bad for your technique, you might injure yourself, and just ruin your body all together. Maybe you should join your school's dream team ( if they have one) even though its not ballet, it seems like a much safer alternative. you would be supervised by a knowadgeable teacher, hopefully, and would learn technique correctly. hope i helped.
You could learn basic steps and limbering exercises; coaching to achieve precision would require the direction of an expert in the dance. So practice and enjoy the dance for the pleasure it brings you and who knows? Try out for some amateur plays and such requiring some ballet skilled dancers. But to achieve the level of expertise necessary to preform before a ballet critique; or any dance savvy audience would mean you were a prodigy and an amazement to have done so by Internet lessons. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
computer security